White pepper is the black peppercorn processed to have the skins removed.
Taste: Herbaceous, earthy with a hotter and sharper heat than black pepper.
Look: Cream colored delicate spheres. The husk is removed so it will not look wrinkly like green or black pepper.
Smell: Barnyard-like scent.
Best for raw or cold dishes, with seafood or dairy.
Pairs well with amchur, dill, fenugreek, ginger, and orange peel.
- Buy quality white pepper. It can be challenging to find since it is a time consuming process to remove the husk of each peppercorn.
- White, green, and red pepper are from the same vine as black pepper, just picked at different stages of ripeness for a different flavor profile.
- Stimulent and a diuretic.
- Prevents coughs, asthma, and colds.
- Aids indigestion and constipation.
Disclaimer: The sole purpose of the Health Benefits section of our spice pantry is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.