White pepper is the black peppercorn processed to have the skins removed.
Taste: Herbaceous, earthy with a hotter and sharper heat than black pepper.
Look: Cream colored delicate spheres. The husk is removed so will not look wrinkly like green or black pepper.
Smell: Barnyard-like scent.
Best for raw or cold dishes, with seafood or dairy.
Pairs well with amchur, dill, fenugreek, ginger, and orange peel.
- Buying quality white pepper can be tough since it is such a time consuming process to create.
- White, green, and red pepper are from the same vine as black pepper, just picked at different stages of ripeness for a different flavor profile.
- Tellicherry is a very high quality of Malabar (black) pepper from the southwestern coast. They are more moderate in heat than other peppers but have an intense flavor with citrus notes.
- Stimulent and a diuretic
- Prevents coughs, asthma, and colds
- Aids indigestion and constipation
Disclaimer: The sole purpose of the Health Benefits section of our spice pantry is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.