Sometimes called the “bacon of vegetarian food”.
Taste: Peppery and slightly bitter taste, adds warmth to your dishes.
Look: Long, light tan seeds.
Smell: Pungent, warm, slightly nutty, with an earthy aroma (very noticeable when crushed).
- Great in breads, pickles, chutneys.
Essential for a classic curry.
Pairs well with strong spices, like chili powder, ajwain, black pepper, cinnamon, coriander, fennel seed, fenugreek seed, ginger, mustard, saffron, tamarind, and turmeric.
- Toast before grinding to intensify the flavor
- Use judiciously, tends to overpower other flavors
- Looks similar to the caraway seed, be sure you are get what you are looking for
- Alkalizes the body (decreases acidity)
- Strengthens the liver, intestines, and kidney
- Reduces blood sugar to prevent/help treat Type 2 Diabetes
- Rich in phytoestrogens, which keep calcium in bones
- Aids in digestion
- Increases milk production in mothers
- Is known as an aphrodisiac
Disclaimer: The sole purpose of the Health Benefits section of our spice pantry is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.