The black cardamom pods are larger than the green pods.
Taste: Slightly harsh, rich and strong flavor with smoky overtones.
Look: About an inch long dark brown pods with visible seeds.
Smell: Smoky and savory. Reminiscent barbecue sauce.
Use in curries and pilafs.
Traditionally, use in savory dishes but can be paired with dark chocolate or fruit.
Pairs well with cumin, fennel, garlic, and lemongrass.
- Use sparingly. Can easily overpower a dish.
- Remove from dishes when you use whole pod. Not pleasant when mistaken for an olive!
- As a digestive stimulant and diuretic
- Cures kidney and gallbladder stones
- Induce sleep and improve appetite
- Can help to cure diseases of the teeth and gums
- Cleanse the palate and freshen the breath after a spicy meal
Disclaimer: The sole purpose of the Health Benefits section of our spice pantry is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.