Taste: Sour, slightly sweet. Like a powdered lime.
Look: Light grayish brown powder - keep away from humidity to prevent clumps
Smell: Citrusy and fresh (made from dried green mangoes).
Sprinkle on buttered popcorn, roasted potatoes and fish, in apple pie, or to sour chutneys. Essentially any place that you would use a lemon.
Use a meat tenderizer.
Combines well with cloves, coriander, cumin, ginger, and chiles.
- Buy powdered already, very difficult to grind at home.
- Do not be alarmed by the gray color! Gray means that no turmeric was added to the blend (this takes away from the potency of the spice).
- 1 tsp amchur can replace 3 T of lemon juice to get a similar tart, sour flavor.
- Prevents chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes
- Balances blood sugar
- Reverses gum disease
- Strengthens the thyroid
- Aids in digestion and is a mild laxative
Disclaimer: The sole purpose of the Health Benefits section of our spice pantry is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.