Basmati is a long-grain, aged, slender & aromatic rice from the northern foothills of India. Turmeric adds a golden color & earthy taste. Pop the mustard seeds in ghee for maximum flavor.
makes 1 quart
- Rinse the basmati rice in water twice. Soak for 30 minutes - 1 hr in 3 cups of water. Drain by pouring out most of the water. A little remaining water is okay.
- In a stockpot heat up the ghee until shimmering but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds. They will pop & sizzle. Almost immediately, add the drained rice, 2 ½ cups of water turmeric & salt. Bring the mixture to a boil then cover & turn to low. Cook for another 5-7 minutes or until almost all of the water has been absorbed, then turn the heat off. Let the rice rest for 10-15 minutes & enjoy!
We sell this as a kit at Pondicheri Houston & New York. An easy week night meal, great to entertain & impress or give as a gift.
ideas / variations
- Add one cup of frozen or fresh peas to the rice 2-3 minutes before it is done.
- Add orange zest from 2 oranges when adding rice & water to the stockpot.
- Substitute cumin for mustard seeds.
- Add a whole stick of cinnamon for added fragrance.