Button mushrooms are milder and absorb different flavors beautifully. These baked caps can be served as an appetizer, side or a small lunch with a salad. We used black garbanzo beans, which can be found at your local Indian grocer.
makes 20 mushrooms (~5 servings)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the stems & reserve. Take the caps of the button mushrooms and brush or rinse to ensure they are clean. Marinate with 2 Tbsp of olive oil & salt then place cup side up on a baking sheet.
- Finely chop the mushroom stems and sauté with a bit of olive oil to remove any excess water. Remove from the heat and add to the black beans, garlic, coriander seeds, serrano pepper, pecans, coconut milk, herbs and salt.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let rest or 10 minutes before eating.
*replace with regular garbanzos or black beans
ideas / variations
- Replace the coconut milk with your favorite melting cheese (like goat cheese).
- Replace the black beans with lentils - channa dal is particularly good.
- Place in a bowl over Mint Coconut Chutney.