Button mushrooms are milder and absorb different flavors beautifully. These baked caps can be served as an appetizer, side or a small lunch with a salad. We used black garbanzo beans, which can be found at your local Indian grocer.
makes 20 mushrooms (~5 servings)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Take the caps of the button mushrooms (don't throw away the mushroom stems) and brush or rinse them to make sure they are clean. Marinate with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, salt and place cup side up on a baking sheet.
- Finely chop the mushroom stems and sauté with a bit of olive oil to remove any excess water. Remove from the heat and add to the black beans, garlic, coriander seeds, serrano pepper, pecans, coconut milk, herbs and salt.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let rest or 10 minutes before eating.
*replace with regular garbanzos or black beans
ideas / variations
- Replace the coconut milk with your favorite melting cheese (goat cheese).
- Replace the black beans with lentils - channa dal is particularly good.
- Place in a bowl over Mint Coconut Chutney.