In Sindhi, sayel means a rustic onion-based preparation. Okra ‘drinks’ a lot of oil so less oil will not yield the same results. If the okra needs to be washed, make sure it is dry before use otherwise it will end up slimy.
makes ~4 cups
- Without trimming, slice each okra into ½ inch wheels. Stems are edible and will soften when cooked.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, heat up the olive oil and pop the cumin seeds. Almost immediately add the potatoes, onions, and garlic. Cover the pan and cook on low heat until onions are light brown and the potatoes have cooked through – approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add the okra, salt and chili powder and cook covered on low heat for 2-3 minutes. No longer or the okra will overcook and turn slimy.
- Add the tomatoes and turn the heat off. Before serving, sprinkle with amchur and cilantro.
ideas / variations
- Try with sweet potatoes instead of regular.
- Sub sun dried tomatoes for fresh ones.