Okra is as ubiquitous to India as green peas and peppers. It is usually made into a dry sabzi and eaten with a roti or paratha. This is a classical Sindhi preparation for okra.
makes 4 cups
- Without trimming, slice the okra lengthwise. Peel the onion, cut in half and make thin slices.
- Heat up the EVOO, pop the mustard seed and add the onion slices. Fry for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add okra, turmeric, ginger purée, chili powder & salt. Cover the skillet and lower the heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the okra is cooked but still bright green. Turn the heat off and let the sabzi rest.
- Remove the lid, add the amchur and cilantro just before serving.
* If the sabzi appears dry, add more olive oil.
ideas / variations
- Instead of amchur use the juice of half a lemon.