It can be easy to overdue tapioca pudding. Once it is somewhat thick and the tapioca pearls are clear, take it off the stove and let it thicken some more.
makes ~3.5 cups
- Soak the tapioca in hot water for 2-3 hours or overnight. Drain & set aside.
- In a heavy bottom stockpot, cook the milk with saffron threads until reduced by two thirds stirring frequently.
- Add the tapioca and cook on medium heat for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar and cardamom. Continue to cook until the tapioca pearls are translucent and cooked through. Remove from heat and let it cool. Stir it occasionally to prevent a solidified layer from forming on top of the pudding.
- Serve warm or cold with chopped pistachios and fresh fruit on top.
* Be sure to sprinkle the cardamom on top, rather than add with the sugar which sinks to the bottom. This will prevent the cardamom from clumping.