This is a classic creme angaise laced with cooling saffron notes and the fragrance of cardamom. It is best served with a crisp pie or fruit galette.
makes 3 cups
- Combine the milk, cream, saffron threads and cardamom. Bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl. As soon as the milk mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat down and transfer approximately 1 cup to the bowl with sugar and egg yolks. Whisk until smooth and return this mixture to the rest of the milk mixture.
- Cook the milk & egg mixture on low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture coats the back of the spoon evenly. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Take the mixture off the heat and strain it. Cool and refrigerate until further use.
ideas / variations
- The sugar may be replaced with grated jaggery.
- Freeze leftover creme anglaise in ice cube trays or popsicle molds. They taste just like ice cream without the ice!