This is one of our favorite market salads. The nuttiness of the cauliflower pairs deliciously with the kale and sweet currants.
makes ~4 cups
1 cauliflower head, chopped
½ Tbsp mustard oil
½ Tbsp serrano pepper, minced (roughly ½ small serrano)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp amchur
½ Tbsp ginger purée
1 bunch kale, ribboned
3 Tbsp currants
3 Tbsp cup sesame seeds
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Separate cauliflower head into florets. Cut the stems into ½ inch pieces. Toss in mustard oil, serrano pepper, salt, turmeric, amchur and ginger purée. Spread evenly on a sheet pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown in color.
- Toss with kale, currants and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- To make dressing, whisk together the dijon mustard and lemon juice. Pour over salad and mix to combine.
- Heat up the oil and pop the mustard seeds. Pour over the salad. Chill and serve.
*cauliflower greens should not be discarded. Cut the greens and stems up to use in the salad.
ideas / variations
- Add toasted cashews or pepitas.
- If you don’t have currants, use raisins.