Mashed potatoes are not so common in India but a universal favorite here in the US. These get a kick from the fenugreek and the cumin seed pop.
makes ~8 cups (2 quarts)
- Combine the potatoes in a stockpot with enough water to just cover the top of the potatoes. Cover the stockpot and bring the potatoes to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain all of the water out and transfer the potatoes to a stand mixer with the whip attachment.
- Heat up the cream, fenugreek leaves, salt, pepper and ghee just a bit so it is warmer than room temperature. Then set aside.
- In a stand mixer, mix the potatoes starting on low until all of the potatoes are roughly mashed. Then slowly add the cream. Turn the mixer up to medium until the all the cream mixture is incorporated evenly and the potatoes are smooth.
- Heat up the ghee and pop the cumin seeds. Fold into the potato mix just until incorporated.
ideas / variations
- To make the potatoes vegan, replace the cream with coconut milk and ghee with olive or coconut oil.
- Replace purple with Idaho potatoes - recipe will remain the same.
- Replace fenugreek with slightly cracked coriander seeds.