Cauliflower is like a canvas that takes on just about any flavor - it works really well with Indian spices. This is a popular sabzi from the northern Punjab region.
makes 4 cups
- Cut the entire cauliflower into 1-2 inch pieces. Cut the green stem parts very finely. The only inedible part of the cauliflower is the core that will need to be discarded.
- Heat up the mustard oil, pop the cumin seeds then add the asafoetida. Immediately add the cauliflower and sauté on high heat until it is golden in color.
- Add the turmeric, ginger purée & salt then cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the black pepper, chili powder, and tomatoes, cover the pot and lower the heat. Let the cauliflower cook for another 5 minutes and turn the heat off.
- Sprinkle freshly ground mace over the top just before serving.
ideas / variations
- Eat with rice or a flatbread.
- No asafoetida? Use 1 clove of garlic instead.