Poha is a very traditional Gujarati breakfast, usually served with a spiced chai. It is a flattened rice that is easily absorbs liquid.
makes 3 cups
2 cups of poha (flattened rice)
1 cup pattypan squash, chopped*
1 cup boiled potatoes, chopped*
⅓ cup EVOO
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 cup onion, diced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp serrano purée (or chopped serrano)
1 Tbsp ginger purée (or grated ginger)
½ cup cilantro, ribboned
⅓ cup peanuts, whole
⅓ cup fresh grated coconut
Juice of ½ lemon
- Rinse the poha in cold water using a strainer. Soak for just 1 minute, drain water. Let poha sit in strainer for 5-10 minutes. The rice will puff a bit and have a “cooked” consistency.
- Heat up the oil in a wok or karahi and pop the asafoetida & mustard seeds. Immediately add the onion & squash then lower the heat to medium, cover & let sweat for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, salt, turmeric, serrano & ginger purée. Stir to combine.
- Move quickly on this step to ensure the poha does not clump. Add the poha and stir to combine. Add a bit of water if you notice clumping.
- Remove from heat, add the cilantro, peanuts, coconut and lemon juice and serve.
*or 2 cups of any vegetable you have on hand.