This salad can be cooked on a stove or you can let it cook in the acid of the vinegar for two nights in the fridge*. It keeps very well and the flavors just get better.
makes ~5 cups
½ lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 Tbsp mustard oil
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 Tbsp jaggery
2 Tbsp ginger purée
2 stalks kari leaves, chopped
1 ½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp turmeric
2 Tbsp white vinegar
½ tsp ground cloves
½ cup cucumber, sliced
½ cup red onion, sliced
½ cup raw or toasted cashews
2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat up the oil and add asafoetida, garlic, jaggery, ginger purée, kari leaves, chili powder, and turmeric. Let sauté in the oil for 2-3 minutes, until very fragrant.
- Add white vinegar and let it come to a boil. Then add the shrimp and cook for 4-5 minutes, until shrimp is cooked.
- Remove from heat and add ground cloves. Let cool in the fridge for at least 2 hrs.
- Once cooled, fold in cucumber, red onion and cashews. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
*If you are going to cook the shrimp in acid, use ⅓ cup of white vinegar instead of 2 Tbsp.
ideas / variations
- Use almonds or pine nuts in salad or honey instead of jaggery.