A lot of delicious flavor is lost when persimmons are heated. Add it at the end, mix it in and use the rest as a layer on top of the pudding. This will keep the texture of the rice thick & creamy.
makes ~3 cups
- Rinse the basmati rice 3 times then cover in cool water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a stock pot on low-medium heat, begin to reduce the milk. Stir frequently to prevent a layer from forming on top. Once it is reduced by ½, add the drained rice and sugar. Cook for 8-10 minutes covered until most of the liquid is absorbed by the rice. When the rice is 1-2 minutes from being done, add the cardamom & stir.
- Let the rice sit, covered for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your persimmon purée by simply peeling and removing the flesh from the fruit. This works best with the Hachiya type, which is very squishy on the inside.
- Stir 1 cup of the persimmon purée into the rice. To serve, first put rice pudding into bowls then top with prepared persimmon purée.
ideas / variations
- Serve with chopped pistachios on top.
- You can do this with your favorite fruit purée such as raspberry or blackberry purée.
- Make this vegan by replacing regular milk with coconut or almond milk. Consistency may vary.