This recipe works with fresh apricots as well (or half peaches, half apricots) - use firm but sweet peaches at the prime of summer.
makes ~3 cups
- Heat up the oil in a dutch oven or a skillet & pop the mustard seeds. Immediately add minced onions. Cook until translucent and add ½ of the peaches.
- Add the turmeric, jaggery, ginger purée, vinegar, chili powder and salt.
- Cover the chutney and simmer on low heat for 8-10 minutes or until the peaches are soft and mushy. This may take longer if the peaches are very hard. Add water if the mixture appears to be getting dry.
- Once the peaches are cooked through, add the other ½ of the peaches and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn the heat off. Refrigerate the peach chutney.
ideas / variations
- Serve on the side with black pepper roasted chicken.
- To make bruschetta, spread cream or goat cheese on toast, top with peach chutney and bake in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with herbs and nuts.