During testing, everyone at the Bake Lab in Houston was clamoring to get this recipe. Sweet potatoes are so naturally sweet that the addition of savory fenugreek leaves, chili, & mustard balance this side dish.
makes 3.5 cups
- Combine the potatoes, water, salt, and fenugreek leaves in a covered stock pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until fork tender. Turn the heat off, leave the potatoes in the water to keep warm.
- Heat up the EVOO and pop the mustard and asafoetida. Turn the heat off then add the coconut milk.
- Drain the sweet potatoes & add to the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Mix until mostly smashed.
- Keep the mixer on low and slowly add the hot coconut milk mixture*. Add the ginger, salt & chili and continue to whip until smooth and fluffy.
*It is key to heat up the coconut milk and keep the potatoes hot. If the potatoes are cool, they will not get a smooth texture. Move swiftly so that both the potatoes & liquid are hot while whipping.
ideas / variations
- Use cream & ghee, instead of coconut milk & EVOO.
- Use these mashed potatoes for the top of a shepherds pie.