Mashed potatoes are not so common in India but a universal favorite here in the US. These get a kick from the fenugreek and the cumin seed pop.
makes 3.5 cups
- Combine the potatoes, water, salt, and fenugreek leaves in a covered stock pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until fork tender. Turn the heat off, leave the potatoes in the water to keep warm and continue cooking in their own steam while you move to the next step.
- Heat up the EVOO and pop the mustard and asafetida. Turn the heat off and add the coconut milk. Then drain and put the sweet potatoes in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whip attachment. Mix until mostly smashed.
- Keep the mixer on low and slowly add the hot coconut milk mixture*. Add the ginger, salt & chili and continue to whip until smooth and fluffy.
*It is key to heat up the coconut milk and keep the potatoes hot. If the potatoes are cool, they will not get the smooth texture you are looking for. Move quickly so that both the potatoes & liquid are hot while whipping.
ideas / variations
- Use cream & ghee, instead of coconut milk & EVOO.
- Use these mashed potatoes for the top of a shepherds pie.