Traditionally a rice & lentil peasant stew, khichri is the ultimate Indian comfort food. Every region & possibly home boasts its own traditions using different combinations of grains & beans - it may be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
makes 6 cups
- Rinse the rice & lentil mix in water twice. Soak for 3 minutes. Drain by pouring most of the water out. A little remaining is okay.
- Combine the rice with the turmeric, black pepper, ground cloves & salt. Add 5 cups of water & bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the stockpot & simmer for 1 ½ hrs on low heat, stirring every 15-20 minutes to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom.
- The mixture should be thick & creamy. Drizzle ghee on top & serve.
We sell this as a kit at Pondicheri Houston & New York. An easy week night meal, great to entertain & impress or give as a gift.
ideas / variations
- Add 2 cups of finely chopped or grated carrots or butternut squash to the mixture in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Add 4 cups of chopped fresh spinach, kale or chard at the end of cooking (just before turning the heat off & adding the ghee). It will wilt, but retain its color.
- Add finely diced asparagus or snap peas to the mixture toward the last 3-4 minutes of cooking.