Jains are the ultimate vegans of India. While they sometimes consume dairy (only from well sourced happy animals), they will not eat any plant whose roots have to be destroyed for it to be consumed. Their cuisine is filled with vegetables and grains, yet it is exciting in its simplicity.
makes 3-4 cups
- Heat up the sesame oil in a skillet and pop the asafoetida, kari leaves, and mustard seeds.
- Add sliced cabbage and serrano peppers. Cook on high heat until they are just wilted, 2-3 minutes at the most.
- Turn the heat off and transfer the cabbage to a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, mint leaves, peanuts and salt.
ideas / variations
- Instead of asafoetida use 1 tsp minced garlic.
- Try cumin seeds instead of mustard seeds.