Punch is a Sanskrit word meaning ”five”, for five ingredients. Originally a punch consisted of alcohol, sugar, lemon, water, tea or spices. The drink made its way to England from India by employees of the British East India Company at the beginning of the 17th century. Bring punch, along with this fun piece of trivia, to your next holiday party.
makes ~5 cups
- Add the honey, hot water & star anise to a bowl and stir until honey dissolves.
- Mix in the orange, lemon & beet juice with the salt, mint, orange slices & pomegranate seeds. Let sit for 3 hrs - overnight.
- Pour in a punch bowl with liquor amount of choice.
ideas / variations
- Use vodka, bourbon or whiskey to spike.
- For a delicious mocktail, add sparkling water.