This spicy and bright green bean salad is delicious hot or cold. We like to let the green beans rest in the pan for 3-5 minutes afterwards to allow them to cook just a bit more without direct heat.
makes ~4 cups
1 lb green beans, sliced in half on a bias
2 Tbsp neutral oil (like sesame)
1 tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
2 Tbsp minced coconut
2 Tbsp ginger
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
¼ cup roasted peanuts, chopped
Pinch of amchur
2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat up the oil and pop the mustard seeds. Add asafoetida and coconut. Cook for 3-4 minutes until coconut is a bit golden.
- Add the kari leaves, green beans, ginger, black pepper, and salt. Cover beans and cook for 10-12 minutes until tender but still bright green.
- Remove from the heat and let the beans sit for 3-5 minutes to continue cooking slightly.
- Stir in tomatoes and peanuts.
- Garnish with amchur and cilantro and serve.
ideas / variations
- If you do not have any amchur on hand, finish the dish with fresh lemon juice and/or lemon zest.
- Fold in almonds or pecans instead of peanuts.
- Try sun-dried tomatoes in place of fresh.
- This salad is good the next day cold also or tossed with some greens in a salad.