This salad makes a great first course. The burn of the mustard oil plays beautifully with the cool creaminess of the saffron yogurt and the rich, sweetness of figs. The saffron needs time to infuse into the yogurt so it is best made the day before or at least a few hours before.
makes ~4 cups
- Stir the yogurt with the saffron, ground cumin and salt and set it aside, preferably overnight.
- Slice the figs into half and generously sprinkle with salt. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, smear the yogurt onto a plate. Arrange the figs on top, scatter the minced serrano peppers around.
- Heat up the mustard oil and pop the mustard seeds. Spoon this over the figs and yogurt. Tuck the mint leaves and walnuts in and around the figs.
ideas / variations
- Add Prosciutto to the salad to take it up notch.
- Add lemon zest on top for a bright, citrus note.
- Use coconut yogurt instead of regular for a vegan version.