This is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. It’s hearty, vegetable-filled and a delicious comfort food to warm up a cold day.
makes 1 9x9 casserole dish
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a stock pot heat up EVOO and pop the cumin seeds. Add the onion and butternut squash. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes until the vegetables get some color.
- Add the mushrooms, garbanzos, chili, salt, fenugreek leaves and pepper. Cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes until mushrooms release their liquid and a good amount of it is cooked off.
- Pour into a casserole dish (9x9 is what was used for this recipe) and cover with a thick layer of mashed potatoes. At this point, bake uncovered for 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown in color. Rest for 10-12 minutes before serving.
ideas / variations
- Want a shepherd’s pie instead? Add ¼ - ½ pound of ground meat to the mixture after step 2.
- Add cheese to the mixture in step 3 or as a middle layer between the veg and mashed potatoes.
- Serve with cranberry chutney!
- Make a spice crust for the top of the casserole by mixing garam masala, chili, and coriander and sprinkling on the top after baking. Then immediately drizzle with hot ghee.