For coconut lovers everywhere, this is for you. The grated coconut adds pleasant texture to the dish. Be sure to soak the rice. This ensures your rice won’t stick.
makes ~6 cups
- Rinse the rice out gently 3-4 times in cold water. Soak in water for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours. Drain.
- In a heavy bottom pot, add the oil and fry the kari leaves and coconut for 1 minute. Then add the rice, 3 cups of water, cinnamon, turmeric, and salt. Cover and cook at high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Turn the heat down (keeping covered) to low and cook without stirring for 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat. Let rest for 4 minutes covered, then gently fluff with a fork.
- In a small sauté pan, heat up the ghee and pop the mustard seeds. Add this to the rice and fold gently in with a spatula. Let rest for another 3 more minutes to soften coconut.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and toasted peanuts before serving.
ideas / variations
- For a vegan version, pop the mustard seeds in coconut oil.
- Sub 1 ½ cups coconut milk for 1 ½ cups of water.