For coconut lovers everywhere, this is for you. The grated coconut adds pleasant texture to the dish. Be sure to follow step 1, this makes sure your rice won’t stick.
makes ~6 cups
- Rinse the rice out gently 3-4 times in cold water. Soak in warm water for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours. Drain.
- In a heavy bottom pot, add the oil and fry the kari leaves and coconut for 1 minute. Then add the water, cinnamon, turmeric, and salt. Cover and cook at high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Cover the rice and turn the heat down to low and cook without stirring for 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let rest for 4 minutes covered, then gently fluff with a fork.
- In a small sauté pan, heat up the ghee and pop the mustard seeds. Add this to the rice and fold gently in with a spatula. Let rest for another 3 more minutes to soften coconut.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and toasted peanuts before serving.
ideas / variations
- For a vegan version, pop the mustard seeds in coconut oil.
- Sub 1 ½ cups coconut milk for 1 ½ cups of water.