Cloves make this a delicious and unique pilaf. Can be eaten as a meal (yes, it’s that good) or as a side.
makes ~3 cups
- Rinse the rice in cold water 3-4 times. Soak in water for 30 minutes up to 2 hrs.
- Heat up the coconut oil and fry the crushed cloves and fenugreek seeds for a few seconds.
- Add the coconut, onion, and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add rice, water, and coconut milk. Cook on high until it comes to a boil.
- When it does, lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes without stirring. Nearly all of the liquid should be fully absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let the pilaf rest, covered for 5 minutes. Fluff gently with a fork and garnish with cilantro and serve.
ideas / variations
- Garnish with finely chopped basil.
- Add peanuts or crushed almonds.
- Add ½ cup of chana dal to soak with the rice and ½ cup additional liquid to step 4 to add some legumes to your dish.