A universal condiment. This chutney is good with nearly anything. Try it on toast, rice, samosas, salads, etc.
makes ~2 cups
2 large bunches cilantro
½ granny smith apple
1 serrano pepper, stem removed
½ cup peanuts, unsalted dry roasted
1 cup yogurt, whole milk plain
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of salt (+ more to taste)
- Under a stream of cold running water, rinse the cilantro and discard the bottom 4 inches of the stems. Shake the cilantro bunches to remove excess water and set aside in a colander until needed.
- Core and slice the apple but do not peel.
- Place the sliced apple, serrano pepper, peanuts, yogurt, lemon juice and 1 tsp salt in a blender.
- Blend, beginning at low speed and slowly increasing speed to high, until completely smooth. Add the cilantro leaves, ½ bunch at a time, until the mixture is smooth.
- Taste for salt and heat. Add more salt or serrano if necessary. Chill and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Will keep for 1-2 days in the fridge.
ideas / variations
- Use this as a sandwich spread or as a dip.
- Put on naan or pizza dough and top with veggies for an India inspired pizza.