Also known as chana masala or garbanzo curry, chole has many regional variations but is usually prepared with white garbanzos. Here is our rendition from the northern state of Punjab, using iron rich garbanzo beans!
makes 6 cups
- Rinse the lentil mix in water 3 times, then soak for 30 minutes. Drain by pouring most of the water out (a little remaining water is okay).
- In a stockpot bring the lentils, 3 cups of water turmeric, ginger powder & salt to a boil. Discard any foamy scum that may rise to the top. Turn the heat to low, cover & cook for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Transfer the dal into a shallow serving bowl. Combine topping masala & spread evenly over the dal. Heat up the ghee in a small frying pan & pour over the top - spices will form a crust on top of the dal. Serve & enjoy!
*referenced chole masala spice blend: 1 tsp toasted cumin, ground + 1 tsp black pepper + ½ tsp cinnamon + ½ tsp ground cloves + juice ½ lemon to add at the end.
We sell this as a kit at Pondicheri Houston & New York. An easy week night meal, great to entertain & impress or give as a gift.
ideas / variations
- This recipe results a dry curry. Add yogurt or coconut milk at the end to make it thicker.
- Serve warm on toast with a friend egg on top.
- Add to lettuce to make a warm salad.
- Substitute ghee for sesame or olive oil to make it vegan.