These pancakes are inspired by the ‘Chilla’, a. Sindhi favorite often seen in the streets of Crawford Market in Mumbai, India. They are sold topped or filled with a combination of cheese, herbs and vegetables. These are a house favorite for us! We recommend serving them with yogurt or raita and a chutney, pickle or relish and fried egg on top.
makes 4-6 pancakes
Whisk the chickpea flour with water, olive oil, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, salt, eggs, cilantro and water. The mixture should be a like a thick pancake batter.
Heat up a seasoned skillet and add a tablespoon of oil. Pour about one fourth of the batter. Spread chopped kale and the sliced mushrooms on top of the batter.
- Cook at medium heat until bubbles appear through the pancake and the edges are brown; flip over gently and cook the other side.
ideas / variations
- To deepen the flavors, ferment the chickpea batter. See our Chickpea Chilla Base recipe for the recipe!
- The addition of eggs is optional – they have plenty of flavor without so feel free to leave them out.
- Replace kale with spinach, asparagus or chopped Brussels sprouts.
- Top with cream cheese and serve with smoked salmon