Curried beans with meat or chicken makes one of the most satisfying comfort dishes…perfect with rice or good crusty bread and some plain yogurt on the side.
makes 6 cups
1 cup small black beans + water for soaking
3+ cups of water
1 tsp turmeric
4 Tbsp ghee
2 cups of diced onions
2 tsp minced garlic
12 oz chicken thigh, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 large serrano pepper, minced
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed slightly
½ cup yogurt
2 Tbsp ginger purée
1 tsp salt
4 cups of spinach leaves
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (or any other herb)
- Soak the beans in 3-4 cups of water for 1 hr at room temperature or in the refrigerator overnight. Drain the water.
- Combine the beans with 3 cups of water and turmeric and bring to a boil. Within a few minutes, a scum may rise to the top - this is the debris from the beans that needs to be discarded. Using a slotted spoon, remove the scum. Reduce the heat to its lowest setting, cover the stockpot and cook for at least 1 ½ hrs until beans are tender (add more water as needed).
- In a separate heavy bottomed pot, up the ghee and add the diced onions. Cook them, until they are golden brown while stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic, chicken pieces, minced serrano, black pepper, cumin and coriander seeds. Cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes then add the cooked beans, yogurt, ginger purée and salt.
- Lower the heat, cover the stew and continue cooking on low heat until the chicken is tender (approximately 15-20 minutes). Add the spinach, stir to combine, cook for another 2-3 minutes just until it wilts then turn off the heat. Garnish with cilantro.
ideas / variations
- Sub squash or sweet potato for the chicken to make this vegetarian.
- Use coconut milk instead of regular yogurt to make it vegan.