Curried beans and meat or chicken makes one of the most satisfying comfort dishes…perfect with rice or good crusty bread and some plain yogurt on the side.
makes 6 cups
1 cup small black eyed peas + water for soaking
1 tsp turmeric
3+ cups of water
4 Tbsp ghee
2 cups of diced onions
2 tsp minced garlic
12 oz chicken thigh, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 large serrano pepper, minced
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed slightly
½ cup yogurt
2 Tbsp ginger purée
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (or any other herb)
4 cups of spinach leaves
- Soak the beans in 3-4 cups of water for 1 hr at room temperature or in the refrigerator overnight. Drain the water.
- Combine the beans with 3 cups of water and turmeric and bring to a boil. Within a few minutes, a scum may rise to the top - this is the debris from the lentils that needs to be discarded. Using a slotted spoon, remove the scum. Reduce the heat to its lowest setting, cover the stockpot and cook for at least 1 ½ hrs until lentils are tender (add more water as needed). Once the beans are cooked through and tender, follow the next step.
- Heat up the ghee and add the diced onions and cook them, stirring frequently until they are golden brown. Add the minced garlic, chicken pieces, minced serrano, black pepper, cumin and coriander seeds. Cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes then add the yogurt, ginger purée and salt.
- Lower the heat, cover the stew and continue cooking on low heat until the chicken is tender (approximately 15-20 minutes). Stir to combine then add the cilantro and spinach, cook for another 2-3 minutes just until it wilts then turn off the heat.
The longer that you soak the beans, the less time it will take to cook them. You can soak them in the fridge overnight and reduce your cooking time to 40 minutes - 1 hr.
ideas / variations
- Sub squash or sweet potato for the chicken to make this vegetarian.
- Use coconut yogurt instead of regular yogurt to make it vegan.