A simple tea cake. Many of these ingredients are always lying around & can be spruced up with seasonal fruits & seeds!*
makes 1 cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F & prepare a tart pan with grease then line with parchment paper.
- Pit & slice the cherries then set aside.
- Mix flours, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest until fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Beginning and ending with the milk, alternately add the milk and the flour mixture, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- To bake, arrange cherries around on the bottom & spread the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick that should come out dry.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan. Cut a bit around the edges to loosen it up. Use a cookie sheet and place on the top (or what will soon be the bottom) of the cake before inverting to avoid breaking.
- Sprinkle with almonds or poppy seeds.
*Don’t be intimidated by the use of grams. Scales are actually the easiest (& best) way to bake. You can buy yourself one for $15 bucks and watch a whole world of baking open up to you.
**Can use all AP flour if you do not have almond.
ideas / variations
- Use oranges or blueberries instead of cherries! Play with different fruits.
- Serve with chai or a dollop of homemade whipped cream.