Simple, yet spicy, sweet, and fresh flavors make this salad addicting. The mangoes add a delicious sweetness and compliment the crunch of the celery. We use popped cumin here, which is often referred to as the bacon of the vegetarian world.
Black garbanzo beans can be found at your local Indian grocer or feel free to use regular.
makes ~4 cups
- If using dried beans, soak in water for 1 hr up to overnight. Put in sauce pan with water to cover beans by 5 inches. Cook covered on medium heat for 50 - 60 minutes (until beans are tender). Or use 1 can of regular garbanzos, drained & rinsed until water is not sudsy.
- Heat the EVOO in a small pan and pop the cumin seeds. Immediately add the garbanzo, salt, and black pepper. Sauté 3-4 minutes, just until hot. Turn off the heat and add the amchur. Set aside and let cool.
- Slice the celery stalks in to ½ inch slices on the bias. Peel the mango and dice into ½ inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss the celery, mango, serrano, cilantro, salt, lemon juice, and cooled garbanzo beans.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours before serving to allow flavors to better marry, or eat right away.**
*can also use regular garbanzos or black beans.
**can be kept in the fridge for 24 hours without losing its flavor.
ideas / variations
- Use mustard seeds instead of cumin.
- Try roasting the garbanzos in the oven with garlic, serrano pepper, oil, salt & pepper. Then finishing with amchur.