The texture of this dish is divine. It has a slightly sweet, caramel flavor. Mace and cardamom are stars of the show here. This dessert involves some patience and attention, but it’s worth it.
makes ~1.5 cups
- In a large saucepan, heat up the ghee and add the carrots. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes - the carrots will sweat and release some liquid.
- Add the milk, sugar, cardamom and mace and continue cooking on medium heat stirring frequently. The liquid will absorb slowly and the milk will caramelize just a bit. Cook until the mixture is almost dry and turn the heat off**.
- Garnish with toasted and sliced almonds. Best served fresh and warm.
*grate the carrots with the grate blade on a food processor or by hand. Don’t want to use the standard food processor blade or you will lose the texture.
**you are going to want to take it off the heat. Resist the urge. Get the carrots to a brown, caramel color. They mixture should mixed and form to your spoon, nearly like a dough.
ideas / variations
- You can enjoy cold if you would like!
- Try chopped pistachios or pecans.