We love meals that involve one pot and letting the heat do the rest. The aroma will have everyone wondering what’s cooking.
makes ~5 cups
1 cup black garbanzos, cooked
1 cup basmati rice
½ pound chicken thighs, bone removed cut into 2 inch pieces
⅓ cup ghee
1 tsp black cumin
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 cups red onion, diced
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups water
3 Tbsp crushed pistachios
3 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- To cook the garbanzo beans, soak in warm water for 2-3 hours, drain, add fresh water to cover by 3-4 inches then boil until tender (40-55 minutes).
- Rinse the basmati rice in cool water 3-4 times and then let soak for 30 minutes and up to two hours.
- Heat up ghee in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan and pop the black cumin seeds. Add the garlic and red onion. Cook until golden in color.
- Add chicken, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, black pepper, chili & salt. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the drained rice, garbanzos, and water. Cover pot and let come to a boil. Then lower heat to low-medium and cook for 8-10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed (do not stir).
- Remove from the heat and let rice sit for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir as not to break up the rice and garnish with pistachios and cilantro.
ideas / variations
- For a vegan version, double the amount of garbanzos and omit the chicken. Also sub out the ghee for EVOO.