This is a fan favorite in Houston. The earthiness of the beets pairs well with the creaminess of the yogurt and cheese. We garnish with chiogga beets (the very pretty white and pink ones). If you cannot find these, don’t sweat it.
makes ~4 cups
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Wrap beets in foil and bake for ~75 minutes or until fork tender.
- Refrigerate 4-6 hours. Peel and chop into ½ inch cubes.
- Combine with yogurt, salt, chili powder, and cherry tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat up the oil and pop the cumin seeds. Pour over the salad.
- Garnish with goat cheese, pistachios, and thinly sliced chiogga beets.
ideas / variations
- No chiogga beets? Regular beets sliced super thin will do just as well. They have a great crunchy texture.
- Feel free to use a different type of oil if you don’t have mustard on hand.
- Try mustard seeds instead of cumin seeds.