This beet raita is stunning in appearance and tasty on its own. It also makes a great accompaniment to grilled fish.
makes 6 cups
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Wrap beets in foil and bake for ~75 minutes or until fork tender. Refrigerate the beets for 4-6 hrs. Peel and chop into ½ inch cubes and set aside.
- Take a dry skillet & toast seeds on low-medium heat, moving seeds frequently as not to burn them. Takes roughly 4-5 minutes. Remove from skillet & grind using spice grinder or mortar & pestle.
- In a large bowl whisk the cumin, black pepper, and salt into the yogurt. Gently fold the beets, ginger, cilantro, cashews and lemon juice.
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan and pop the mustard seeds. Immediately pour the oil and seeds over the yogurt and fold together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
ideas & variations
- If you don’t have a spice grinder or are totally overwhelmed by the idea of toasting seeds, you can use pre-ground cumin. But we highly encourage you to give it a try! Toasting and grinding them yourself gives the dish unbelievable flavor.