This beet raita is stunning in appearance and tasty on its own. It also makes a great accompaniment to grilled fish.
makes 6 cups
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Wrap beets in foil & bake for ~75 minutes or until fork tender.
- Refrigerate the beets for 4-6 hrs. Peel & chop into 1/2 inch cubes & set aside.
- Take a dry skillet & toast seeds on low-medium heat, moving seeds frequently as not to burn them. Takes roughly 4-5 minutes. Remove from skillet & grind using spice grinder or mortar & pestle.
- In a large bowl whisk the cumin, black pepper & salt into the yogurt. Gently fold the beets, cashews, ginger, cilantro & lemon juice.
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan & pop the mustard seeds. Immediately pour the oil & seeds over the yogurt & fold together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
ideas & variations
- If you don’t have a spice grinder or are totally overwhelmed by the idea of toasting seeds, you can use pre-ground cumin. But we highly encourage you to give it a try! Toasting and grinding them yourself gives the dish unbelievable flavor.