The banana and yogurt combination breaks every rule in Ayurveda but this raita tastes SO good! It makes a great addition to breakfast and is also good as a side with shrimp or fish curry. The ginger and the serrano add a surprising, but lovely punch to the raita.
makes ~4 cups
- In a bowl, whisk the yogurt, cumin, and salt. Chop the peanuts and add to the yogurt.
- Peel and slice the banana directly onto the yogurt. Add the minced Serrano pepper, ginger puree (all liquid removed) and chopped cilantro. With a spatula, mix the raita together gently.
- Heat up the mustard oil and pop the mustard seeds. Immediately add to the raita and fold in. Refrigerate until ready to serve
ideas / variations
- We love the taste of mustard oil, however not everyone has mustard oil in their pantry! Feel free to substitute with olive or another oil of your choice.
- Add additional ginger if you want that flavor to stand out a bit more.
- Enjoy a dollop with your breakfast or lunch. It is particularly delicious with a chilla! A raita is kind of like a “salad” and a bit can be eaten as a side.